Cow, cow, cows, BUNNY–

img_0981 img_0977 img_0960img_0971JAAA!  We are learning all kinds of stuff about beef cattle and dairy cows here at the Iowa County Fair.

Fun beef facts: only about 55 percent of a beef cow is used for actual meat. . .the other 45 percent is used for things like footballs, basketballs, glue, gelatin, pet food, etc.  Also, the current price for a beef cow is about $1.10 per pound. . .so if you have an animal that weighs fifteen hundred pounds you can get about sixteen hundred and fifty bucks for it right now–this is not bad according to the folks working here at the fair.  Prices sometimes go as high as two bucks a pound and as low as sixty cents a pound.  Fascinating stuff, right?  Right.

Fun dairy cow fact: dairy cows generally produce milk for about five, six, maybe seven years if they don’t get sick. . .once the cow stops producing milk she is then sold at market for beef and other items noted above.  A cow that is not shipped to a beef market will live about fifteen to twenty years if she stays healthy, but it is not good business to have a bunch of cows walking around eating your grass and grain while producing nothing that generates revenue. . .so most are shipped and sold for beef and other stuff.

Oh, and one more thing: bunnies are soft, furry, and cuddly. . .mmmm, aaaahh!!

That’s all for your daily agriculture lesson. . .wherever you are be sure to show appreciation to the farmers around you, if there are any, for without them you would have nothing to eat. . .or you would have to grow and produce your own food.

Thank you, farmers!

I send you hard working vibes from the Iowa County Fair in Mineral Point, Wisconsin. . .feel them. . .they will help you sleep real well tonight.

To see more amazing images from around planet Earth simply click on a location of your choice in the category menu on the ‘About’ page of this blog. . .dive on in. . .so much to see and sooooo little time.

It’s lovely out there.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s